Tuesday 10 June 2014

My local, official Mercedes-Benz Club

If you love your Benz or have an interest in any other form of transport be it new or old, I strongly recommend that you look up your local club and automotive scene, as there is bound to be an organisation that suits you.

Not long after buying my W114 I was talking to a colleague at work about my new pride and joy and he did the usual, "man, where are you going to get parts for that?  It will cost a fortune, European car....... blah, blah blah."

What I did listen to however, was when he said "have you checked to see if there is a local club?"  To be honest I had not even considered that there could have been one.  After a quick check online I came across the website of the Mercedes-Benz Car Club of WA (MBCCWA). I instantly got on the phone to the club President and signed up to be a member.

It has been a few years now and I have become increasingly involved with the club.  In truth it only took a few months after joining for my enthusiasm to be recognised, and I was asked to become a club committee member.  I had never been on any sort of committee before and it was very interesting to see what it takes to make a club tick.

For the first year I held the position of Merchandise Officer, assisted by my wife, the following year I was voted in as Vice President which is the position I currently hold.

We are heading towards the end of the club year and I hope to hold my position of Vice President for another year.  I have had a lot of enjoyment being involved with the day to day running of the club, as well as being a driving force (no pun intended) behind the evolution of the club as we aim to stay relevant amongst the ever growing number of on-line clubs and forums.

It is an interesting, and increasingly positive time in the MBCCWA as the club experiences a large influx of younger members, who like me are incredibly enthusiastic.

The more mature members have been welcoming of the changes, and the social side of the club is going from strength to strength, often meaning that at public display days the MBCCWA members are usually the last to leave as they are still enjoying the company of fellow members.

What this shows me, is that if you are a motoring enthusiast, age, nationality, religion and political point of view are all irrelevant, and we are all bound together by a love of cars.

I am almost positive that if you are a car nut or rev head, there will be someone in a club near you, that will have exactly the same level of enthusiasm as you.  I have been introduced to many incredible people who I would not have met any other way, so go along and have a look.  It is a great way to make friends, grow you knowledge base and generally hang out with people you can relate to.  All good I say!

Over the last 18months, I have been heavily promoting the MBCCWA via it's social media presence.  There are links below so please have a look and don't forget to "like" to see what the MBCCWA is up to.



  

UGU wearing her Mercedes-Benz Car Club grille badge with pride


The Mercedes-Benz Car Club of WA


The MBCCWA was established in 1961 and is the oldest Mercedes-Benz Car Club in the southern hemisphere, and the third oldest in the world! The club continues to grow from strength to strength with a current membership in excess of 250.

I will follow the MBCCWA here, posting upcoming events and news should any of you want to get in touch.

Tyrobenz is very much a friend of the MBCCWA




For those of you not in Western Australia below is a link showing other Mercede-Benz clubs across the globe. Some 80 clubs with a staggering 90,000 members!




No comments:

Post a Comment