Sunday 8 June 2014

Original Service Manual

I had a fantastic result buying an original Mercedes-Benz Service Manual from a chap I met through the Facebook Group W(A)114/115.

This hardcover binder is full of vehicle specifications, beautiful technical drawings and what I really love, notes from a previous user.  Just like the car, this is an artifact full of history.

With the purchase came a replacement bonnet emblem that I needed to replace my original one which unfortunately had it's spring over-stretched due to an ill fitting car cover.

This is worthwhile point, if your Benz is parked outside and you are going to be regularly putting on and taking off a car cover, I recommend you either remove the emblem (an easy process which I will cover in a later post), or cut a hole in the car cover for the emblem to protrude through.  Perhaps if you are friends with a gifted seamstress some excess material could be taken from the bottom edge of the cover to make a pouch/pocket to cover the emblem in situ, this way the whole car is covered which is ultimately what you want.

Perhaps this all sounds like a lot of work, but it only took one stormy night for my car cover to pull on my emblem enough to overstretch the spring.  What this does is allow the emblem to flop about when you are driving, and trust me, there is nothing more annoying than seeing a crooked gun sight at the end of you bonnet!

Anyway, so back to the service manual.  These are worth their weight in gold, so if you find one snap it up.  It is a lot easier to flick through a book that use the CD ROM versions available for purchase online.

I will be referring to the manual in the tyro workshop so this won't be the last you hear of it.

A very useful reference indeed!




No comments:

Post a Comment