Friday 17 April 2015

Mini Project 2 - Polish your knobs

Amongst the bits and pieces I got during my garage sale blitz, were some original and very used gear knobs.  Though very grubby and tired looking, they showed no signs of cracking or heavy chips.

Yuk, not looking so healthy!

Following on from my success with the polishing of Leif's chrome, I first tried to remove the dirt with some super fine steel wool, but it was just too ground in.  I went and bought some course steel wool, and whist it was a little better, it was not giving me the result I was after.  Finally I had a go with the P400 sand paper.  I even wet the paper and gently started going over each knob. The end result - well, see for yourself:

Work in progress. Red knob wet and finished

Clean and dry.  Still have character for that authentic look

Do these look familiar??  Oh yeah.......

Perhaps Mars' R&D was done in a Series Land Rover, haha!

Both knobs are now up for sale, as I don't need them for Leif. Check out the Tyro Part Mart for listing:



I will give both Leif's knobs the same treatment, the only difference is that Leif's Lucky 8 ball will be kept instead of the red knob.  Not original, but part of his story.

Leif's knobs pre-treatment. I will update once they have been cleaned.

1 comment:

  1. Nice job on the knobs! You have given me another project!

    ReplyDelete